The Best Wedding Day Hacks
Every single wedding is different and unique, but they're also very similar. The bride may be stressed, someone may spill something on their dress, the boys are running late (which ALWAYS happens :) ), or no one can find the officiant. Seriously. This is all normal.
So, since this is likely your first wedding you're planning, coordinating and attending as the bride, I have some wedding day hacks I've learned along the way that will help keep things running smoothly.
1. Tell the boys the arrival time is 15 minutes earlier than it actually is.
Yes, it may seem a little sneaky, but honestly ladies it's a good one. Our whole lives the boys are saying we take to long to get ready and are always late, but fast forward to the wedding day and they're the ones rolling out of bed at noon rushing to get their suits on. I always suggest putting in some padding time to get the guys together, ready, and to the first look or ceremony venue.
2. Your Maid of Honor is your secret weapon.
She's been there for you through thick and thin and now she's your saving grace at your wedding. Make sure she knows the following:
1. How to hold your dress in the bathroom - Especially if you have a ballgown dress, this one is a must.
2. To fill you up when your drink is out - You'll be talking to all your guests and will more than likely forget to get yourself food, snacks or your favorite booze.
3. HOW TO BUSTLE YOUR DRESS - If you take one thing away from this post, make it this. Bustling a dress is a huge job if no one is exactly sure how to do it. Also, sometimes, your bustle will break or snap and you'll need someone who has practiced on it before to get it back in working order quickly so you can get back to the party. (bringing an emergency sewing kit is always a good plan too!)
3. Wear comfortable shoes. Your feet will thank you.
Cinderella had it all wrong with those glass slippers. I'm currently in love with these little puppies > Tieks
Between all the pictures, standing, posing, and dancing you'll be doing, a pair of comfortable shoes will save your feet and your mood. Nothing ruins your natural smile quite like a pair of throbbing feet.
4. Bring an emergency kit
I can't tell you how many times someone in the bridal party has needed a Tide pen (the biggest lifesaver), super glue, safety pin, headache meds, deodorant and yes, even a tampon. These may seem like everyday things that you would have on you, but on the wedding day all of it seems to run off when you need it most. I suggest packing a small bag with all these essentials or even throwing them in little bags as bridesmaids gifts the day of.
5. Use essential oils or calming scents for perfume.
This one may sound a bit "new-agey", but I've found that using essential oils such as lavender or whichever one you love, tends to stay on your skin better than regular perfumes throughout the day. I always use it in addition to my favorite perfume. Honestly, and maybe this is just me, I feel like as you warm up or, let's face it, SWEAT, the oils' scents become more fragrant. You can also get oils like lavendar that relax you throughout the day. It's definitely worth a try if you're worried about smelling a little less than perfect during your long day in the bridal seat.
Also, I use an essential oils diffuser in the form of a bracelet to keep my favorite scent with me on the go. You can buy diffusers in bracelets, necklaces, etc. to wear with you on the big day.